1st Showtime!

I cannot begin to express how amazing it was to see all my students participate in their very first Showtime on Saturday, May 25th.  I felt butterflies for them and shared their happiness once they were finally done while parents hugged them all around.

Unlike recitals, Showtime is a moment to showcase where a students stands in their progress. You can see this more as a informal performance of how each student is growing, while performing for peers and parents, the students are able to get over stage fright and become comfortable in public settings slowly, but surely. Showtime performances and numbers are not planned ahead of time simply because this encourages students and parents to be consistent in practice and becomes a routine the students can easily become accustomed to if prepared. This is not a common practice in music lessons because it involves a lot more work from the teacher to prepare and plan, but I think it's worth it. Showtime is meant to be short and sweet. Think of it as a pop-quiz for musicians, a performance meant for loved ones alone and private enough for students to not feel overwhelmed.  The more students practice, the more prepared they'll be for Showtime and ultimately, the Recital.

As I continue to teach and learn from my students and their personalities, I can't help but think of how important it is to practice.  I recently created a page with tips on how to motivate students at home.  If you have the time, please, read it.  As for me, I am very exited to continue Showtime and plan for the Recital later this year.

Thank you all for your participation!